HELPFUL TIPS: Identity Theft Recovery

Identity Theft Recovery Information & Action to Be TakenAlertsTips


In 2011, over 1.5 million identities were compromised of which, more than 600,000 were from fraudulent income tax returns. When the identity thief files a tax return using your or your spouses social security number, it usually occurs in February. This is because the thief knows the IRS does not receive W-2 and other information until the end of February.


This loophole occurred because the IRS had wanted to establish a quick refund policy through the use of E-File, but did not establish the necessary controls to protect the taxpayer.


In order to expedite and resolve IRS identity theft, please do the following:


Obtain and complete IRS Form 14039 at


Contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-908-4490.
Please be prepared to spend one hour or more to complete this step.
The IRS will direct you to send a paper copy of your tax return to a specific address.
The IRS will also instruct you to call the following to report the identity theft:
Federal Trade Commission (FTC): 1-877-438-4338
Social Security Administration: 1-800-772-1213
File a report with your local police department.
After obtaining a case number, report that number to the FTC.
Check your credit rating with one of the three major credit report services.
For more information see Publication 4535